What SEO means and why do we need it?
SEO comes from Search Engine Optimization and it is used for making your site to rank high in major search engines when a specific word is searched by a potential visitor through a search engine like Google, Yahoo, MSN or others.
SEO by Yoast is the most complete WordPress SEO and it incorporates everything, from snippet preview to page analysis and advanced settings like indexations, canonical URLs and redirects. More and more visitors can be attracted to your site with this plugin`s help and so you can grow your site.
How it works?
Once you install WordPress SEO Plugin by Yoast, you will see the SEO tab that appears in the left side.
- Titles Settings- here`s where you can set the default Page or Posts titles. Each new page or post gives the search engines fresh content.
- Indexations- here you can set which section of the site to be indexed by the search engine and which not.
- Social-adds Facebook OpenGraph meta data.
- XML Sitemap-enabling this, you won`t need to submit a regular sitemap to Google or Bing every time you change your content or add new pages/posts, it automatically pings Google, Yahoo or Ask.
- Links and Permalink- this allows you to set the permalinks and the URLs.
- RSS- automatically add content to your RSS.
- Import or Export SEO Settings- if you decide that you want to move to YOAST from HeadSpace2,(Old-)All-in-one SEO, you can do that with few clicks
Most important features that we are going to talk about and see how they work for us :
- Post titles and meta descriptions
- Canonical URLs
- Permalink clean up
- XML Sitemaps
Post titles and meta descriptions
Here you can set titles and meta descriptions for a post, page, homepage, attachment and also set taxonomies and special pages.
A code snippet shows you how to modify your page titles by adding to your header.php file:
Also, if you have no idea how to do that it gives you a hand, allowing to Force rewrite titles.
Breadcrumbs are great for navigation and for SEO too. Here you can change the taxonomy of your breadcrumbs titles, for individual post or pages.
If you dare to modify a theme, a code snippet is included for adding breadcrumbs to it.
Permalink clean up
This allows you to optimize your permalinks. You can simply make sure that links back to specific pages on your site use the permalink that you want. You can Strip the category base, Enforce a trailing slash on all category and tag URL`s, Redirect attachment URL`s and even Redirect ugly URL`s to clean permalinks.
This WordPress plugin has one of the best XML sitemap integration around. The sitemaps allows webmasters to inform search engines about pages on their sites that are available for crawling. Also this feature allows you to keep certain taxonomies out of your sitemap and uses an XLST stylesheet which makes your XML sitemap readable to humans.
This automatically adds content to the RSS. Add links back to your blog`s post, helping search engines to identify you as the original source of the content.
Import and Export
This beautiful feature shows how friendly SEO by Yoast is.
It allows you to duplicate on other sites what you have accomplished and also if you`ve done SEO with other plugins, to pull the settings into this plugin.
How to add SEO feature to your posts and pages
Now that you`ve set the plugin, it`s time to integrate it.
For that, when you go to the Edit Page/Post, you will see that an additional 3 tabs-form appears. You can make General and Advanced Settings and see the Page Analysis.
With WordPress SEO by Yoast each post or page you write will have a metabox, where you can enter your title, meta description and focus keywords. A snippet preview will be shown, of how your description will look in search engines. You can add Focus Keyword to be found faster by the seach engines.
Linkdex Page Analysis and SEO.The best for the best!
When Linkdex came to the market, in 2011, immediately teamed up with SEO by Yoast, providing users a page-level analysis of their content.
In Page Analysis you will see different types of messages which help you to increase your SEO rank. Consider that a guide through the process of writing a post designed for search engine optimization SEO.
As you can see below, Linkdex grades the post in red, orange and green for the absence or presence of some items.
Robots meta configuration
In the “Advanced” tab you will find Meta Robots settings. Hmm…what these big words mean?
Well, let say that you have a page or post that you don`t want to be indexed or followed by the search engines. To do that, the meta robots settings allows you, with few clicks, to deactivate the indexes and follows that you don`t want.
Also, this plugin helps you with duplicate content and keeps you away from being penalized by the search engines for having identical or similar content in multiple URLs and to change the URL of a page as it is shown in search engine result, using the 301 redirect.
- This plugin gives users a lot of control over their site`s SEO architecture.
- XML Sitemap is great!You can control all the aspects that will be shown on your own XML Sitemap
- Great canonical, permalink and indexation controls. It allows users to change the URLs and control their indexations and format.
- As a minor minus, SEO by Yoast is not for every noob!You must have some SEO knowledge to navigate through this plugin and understand it at its true value.